Monday’s game was hot garbage, plain and simple. The Caps were dominated in every aspect of the game and Carolina fed off of a capacity crowd that has waited 10 years for the Hurricanes to be back in the playoffs. So the question the Caps have to answer is: what now?
Hit the Reset Button and Forget Game 3
- This game had nothing good to come from it, except Alex Ovechkin’s KO. Forget about the rest and move forward. This team can and will play much better moving forward.
Shoot the Puck!
- Last night the Caps struggled mightily to establish any kind of offensive attack. Carolina was ready each and every time the Caps attempted to go into their zone. Even the power play wasn’t as crisp or organized as it usually is. Too many passes–not enough shots. They set an NHL record Monday with the fewest shots in a period in a Playoff Game with one shot in the 2nd period. Not a record you should be proud of.
- They need to shoot the puck! Any shot will do. This gets the confidence backand gets the Caps to settle down and play their brand of hockey.
Be More Disciplined and Improve the Penalty Kill
- The Caps had been pretty good in this department up until Game 3 when they allowed two goals on the man advantage. They need to not give in to frustration and commit bad penalties. Carolina was flat out dominant in possession of the puck in their zone and really stopped the Caps from getting anything going on their zone. The Caps need to stay out of the box and play smart.
Paging Kuznetsov, Vrana, Burakovsky…..
- All three of these players were a vital part to the Caps repeating as the Metropolitan Division Champs for the 4th straight season. They have combined for three points in three games (All Kuznetsov). This roster to way too talented to be kept off the scoresheet. All threevneed to step it up in Game 4 and show it!
Be the More Physical Team
- The Caps need to come out in Game 4 on a mission. To send this series back to Washington up 3-1. That starts with checking and hitting smartly. Wearing Carolina down and limiting their speed. They need to be the physical team determined to win.
Carolina will be ready to respond in Game 4, the Caps better be ready to respond.