The Capitals played their second preseason game against the Boston Bruins on Tuesday, at home among friends. The crowd was pumped to see some of the Stanley Cup Winners on the ice at Capital One Arena- TJ Oshie, Dmitry Orlov, Matt Niskanen, Nick Backstrom, and Braden Holtby. Oshie had a little fun taking selfies and we laughed as Colby Williams kept passing pucks through the camera hole to fans!
The full lineup for the night included players hoping to earn a spot on the Caps roster this season. The main takeaway from the night is that there were only a few standouts and the main Caps need to shake the summer sand out of their skates!
The Caps fell to the Bruins for the second time in three days with a 5-2 loss this night. On the plus side, Riley Barber of the Hershey Bears got a nice one in the net – well deserved as he was really working hard for it. Matt Niskanen had the Caps only other goal of the night. They had nine power play opportunities and only made it work for them once.
It was good seeing the Caps in action, even if it was only part of the team. The preseason is made for this kind of fun play as everyone adjusts to the start of the season. Nothing to worry about yet.
Oh, and about being among friends…former Cap player (and still good friend of many players) Daniel Winnik was on the Boston Bruins roster as a professional tryout, which means he is hoping he will have a job when the preseason is over. He had a good night – after saying “hey” to an old chum he had an assist on the Bruin’s first goal of the night.
Meanwhile, he rest of the team was situated above the ice watching from the box… as a few of the wives sat with friends below. We had a bit of fun with them- girl to girl – if you want to check out our Instagram.
The Caps are off Wednesday and some return to camp Thursday at 1130 while others will be in Montreal for morning skate. We will have more player analysis to fill the day off!
Here is the full summary from the Capitals:
- Riley Barber opened the scoring for the Capitals. Barber recorded 20 goals for the Hershey Bears last season and has two 20-goal seasons in three years of AHL experience. Barber also led the team in shots (9).
- Matt Niskanen scored a goal to make the game 4-2. Niskanen recorded seven goals last season, his highest total since becoming a Cap in 2014.
- Alexander Alexeyev recorded a primary assist on Barber’s goal. Alexeyev recorded four assists in three games in the 2018 Rookie Showcase, which was tied for the lead in the Showcase.
- Travis Boyd recorded an assist on Barber’s goal. Boyd recorded his first NHL point, also an assist, last season (March 18 versus Philadelphia).
- Dmitry Orlov led all players in time on ice (26:12) and total shifts (26). Orlov also led the team with four hits.
- Nic Dowd won 12 of his 17 face-offs (71%). Dowd also led the team with three blocked shots
- Washington now holds a 0-1-1 record this preseason.
- The Capitals won 36 of the 69 face-offs (52%) against the Bruins.
- The Capitals recorded 33 shots, the most between their two preseason games.
- Tonight’s attendance was 14,952
Photos by Brittney Marcum and Mel Abernethy