By Dan Johnson
With Barry Trotz resigning on Monday, many Caps fans were left stunned and confused. The question I heard from many of my friends who are Caps fans is what now? Who do we get? Here is a list of possible candidates:
- Todd Reirden: what seems to be the most obvious choice to many. Rierden has bided his time since arriving with the Caps in 2014. With the Caps not allowing him to interview with other teams, the line of succession was created. Reirden brings stability and experience in the organization and creates a smooth transition if the Caps decide to give him the keys to the kingdom.
- Sheldon Keefe: Fresh of an Calder Cup Championship with the Toronto Marlies, Keefe has come up on multiple lists including the new franchise in Seattle. He brings great experience in taking young players and developing their individual talents to help the team succeed. It may take time to develop chemistry but he is fully capable to do the job.
- Alain Vigneault: The former NY Rangers coach has won two Conference titles.
- Dan Bylsma: The Stanley Cup Champion coach is coming off a bad stint in Buffalo but has won the Cup and knows what it takes to win one.
- Darryl Sutter: Former L.A. Kings coach has also has won the Stanley Cup and has the experience.
We will see in the coming days where the coaching will go from here. One thing is for sure, the challenge to win back-to-back Stanley Cups is on.