Dan Winnick came to the Capitals in February 2016, a surprise trade from the Toronto Maple Leafs. In exchange, Brooks Laich and Connor Carrick made the move north. He had one year left on his contract at the time. No stranger to the trade process, the Capitals would be Dan’s seventh team to play for in the NHL. He and his wife (and their pooches) would quickly become a part of the fabric of the Caps and the Caps community.
With the end of the Caps season, Dan now becomes an unrestricted free agent and is in the mix of players waiting for a contract offer. Winnik dodged an earlier trade bullet in March when he came in under the radar for the trade deadline. And he stepped it up, helping the Caps end the season on a high note, winning the President’s Trophy. Overall:
- Winnik had one of his best NHL seasons in 2016/17.
- He scored 12 goals with 14 assists during the regular season.
- He leads the team in short-handed goals at two.
- He was responsible for three game winning goals, including a spectacular night against the Coyotes in which he scored two goals in the third period.
- At 14.6 he has one of the highest save percentages on the team.
- He literally took one for the team in in October 2016 when in a game against the Panthers he took a puck to the ear, losing a little piece of it. Now that’s dedication!
On the downside of things, he didn’t contribute as much as we would have hoped in the playoffs, ending the run with a -4 and no points recorded. He was part of the fourth line that failed to score against the Penguins, according to CSN.
Chances are, Dan and Taylor Winnik will be looking for a new home by the end of the summer. When it comes to trades and new contracts, the Capitals are looking at the overall best mix for the team. They have to be looking at playoff performance. Now there ate lots of gaps in performance to point to this season, unfortunately, Winnik is one of the weakest links.
Now we can’t end this article without talking about Taylor and what she has brought to this team. She was the photographer for the annual Canine Calendar, bringing out the best of the boys and those adorable pooches. She has been instrumental in bringing the wives closer, as a support system for one another and the players. She was part of the crew that brought families together on the recent vacation during Bye Week. She is always bringing awareness to causes close to her and Dan, including pet adoption. We have come to love her tweets and her Instagram posts and if they go, there will be a huge hole left in her absence.
We wish the best for the Winnik’s,where ever life take them.