Caps Lose Intensity Match to Flyers in OT

Wednesday night rivalry.

The Washington Capitals versus the Philadelphia Flyers.

Both riding some great win streaks. Both bringing their all to a heated competition. Both bringing hatred for their opposition. This promises to be a great game!
The first period was intense. It was fast-paced. Both teams playing with ferocity. While it was not necessarily the no holds barred, constant fisticuffs we have come to know between these two teams, it was a great battle between two great teams. It was relatively quiet the entire period. The Caps committed the only penalty of the period. At 6:16 into the period, Daniel Winnik was called for tripping Wayne Simmonds. Flyers only had one shot on goal during their powerplay but did not score. The Caps drew first blood when Andre Burakovsky scored with 1:30 left in the period. Caps up, 1-0.
The second period was very similar to the first. Lots of back and forth. Some great chances by both teams. However, most chances were met by even better saves by the goalies. There were three penalties committed. There were also three goals scored. The penalties were committed by Lars Eller and Justin Williams for the Caps and Shayne Gostisbehere for the Flyers. Williams and Gostisbehere were matching minors so the teams played 4 on 4. Goals were scored by Michael Raffl and Claude Giroux for the Flyers, and Lars Eller for the Caps. Caps and Flyers tied, 2-2.
The Flyers started the third with the remnants of a power play, but could not convert. The third period was a very similar look to the first two periods. Lots of back and forth. Tom Wilson started getting pretty physical. While on a two on one, Wilson laid a Flyers player out in front of his own net. A few seconds after that, Wilson and Simmonds exchanged aggressive hugs next to Braden Holtby. One of the refs took a puck from Simmonds off his body and went down. Luckily he was ok and stayed in the game. With 1:43 left in the game, the Caps got their first powerplay of the night when Radko Gudas was called for hooking Wilson. However, the Caps could not score and the game goes to overtime.
Caps started OT with an abbreviated powerplay, going 4 on 3 for 12 seconds. The Caps did not score, so back to even strength they go! Holtby stood tall, making some great saves to keep the Caps in this game. Steve Mason was not tested much in OT, but when he was, he was phenomenal as well! Neither team scored, so we go **Wes Johnson voice**

TO A SHOOTOUT. Flyers elected to go first. Gostisbehere was up first, and lost the puck. TJ Oshie went first for the Caps and scored. Claude Giroux was up next and was denied by Holtby. Evgeni Kuznetsov was up next but was stopped by Mason. Jakub Voracek scored. Nicklas Backstrom was denied by Mason. Simmonds scored. Williams missed.

Flyers win, 3-2.
Not gonna lie, that one stung a bit. Well, at least we got a point, right?

Caps are now 19-8-4. Their next game is against the Tampa Bay Lightning on Friday at home in the Verizon Center at 7pm. See ya then, Caps faithful.

Leave a Reply