The Washington Capitals traveled to Columbus take home the victory (6-3) over the Blue Jackets in the third match between the two teams. Fresh off their victory over the New York Rangers, the Caps were ready to stick to their winning ways. With Zach Sill and Aaron Ness sent back down to Hershey with many praises from Barry Trotz, Ryan Stanton was called up for his first game in a Caps sweater. Holtby stood on his head again to bring a win in for the team.
First Period: It’s Not How You Start…
The Caps started out this game a little slow. They were the unfortunate recipients of the first penalty as Nicklas Backstrom was called for interference. Columbus was leading shots on goal 10-1 at one point.
- Columbus earned the first goal of the game when Kerby Rychel recorded his first NHL goal to give Columbus the advantage.
- Minutes later, Backstrom evened things up and got the Caps on the board, assisted by TJ Oshie and Alex Ovechkin.
- After blocking a shot off his hand, Jason Chimera showed fans he was just fine by scoring the Caps second goal, assisted by Marcus Johansson.
End of the period, 2-1 Caps
Second Period: Goals Galore!
The second period is when the goals started coming. The Caps scored 3 and the Jackets scored 1. All but one of these goals were scored on power plays. About three minutes in, the Caps went to the power play as Marcus Johansson was caught in the face by a high stick and started bleeding. Justin Falk was off to the sin bin for a four minute double minor.
- On the power play, Alexander Ovechkin notched his 28th goal of the season, assisted by Evgeny Kuznetsov and Matt Niskanen.
- Nicklas Backstrom earned his 15th goal of the season, also assisted by Kuzy and Nisky.
- Ryan Stanton was called holding and Boone Jenner scored on the Jackets power play.
Andre Burakovsky answers the CBJ goal by adding another one for the Caps at even strength, again assisted by Kuzy as well as Justin Williams.
A few minutes later, Michael Latta defended Marcus Johansson’s honor and got in a fight with Justin Falk. Both Latta and Falk were charged with fighting majors, Falk was hit with holding and Latta also got hit with a five-minute roughing minor. Marcus was also called for holding.
End of the period: 5-2 Caps
Third Period…It’s How You Finish
The Caps seemed to have this game in the bag when the third period started. However, five minutes in, Ryan Murray scored for Columbus to bring the Jackets to within two. A little while later, Ovi was awarded a penalty shot as he was cleaned out by Cody Goloubef and ended up in the net with Sergei Bobrovsky. Ovi could not convert on the penalty shot.
- With 3:11 left in the game, Sergei Bobrovsky was lifted for an extra skater. MoJo managed to get the puck to the blue line and tossed it towards the yawning net and scored the final goal with 32.4 seconds left in the game. Assisted by Kuzy and Williams.
Final: 6-3 Caps
With this victory, the Caps are now 35-8-3. This was also Braden Holtby’s 30th win of the season.Everyone seemed to want to score or assist tonight. Great showing by Nicky with two goals, Kuzy with four assists, and Niskanen with two assists. And what can you say about Chimmer–leaves the ice after taking a hit to the hand only to return and put one in the net. Oh, and congrats to Michael Latta for his 100th NHL game.
Next Games and Practices
Wed Jan 20 Day off per Caps PR
Thu Jan 21 1030 Practiceper Caps PR
Fri Jan 22 1015 Morning Skate likely
Fri Jan 22 7pm Anaheim Ducks CSN NHLN 106.7 (SnovechkinII ???)
Sun Jan 27 1230 pm Pittsburg NBC TVAS SN360 106.7
Written by Ashley Reid
Photos by Brittney Marcum